Sunday, June 18, 2017

My reaction to "Colorblindness is the New Racism"

befunky_colorblindideology.jpg (700×700) 
     In "Colorblindness is the New Racism," Margalynne J. Armstrong and Stephanie M. Wildman argue that color insight rather than colorblindness needs to be our approach to thinking about race. They strongly agree with Allan G. Johnson about the elephant in the room regarding discussing race and that we need to use the vocabulary even if it is difficult and uncomfortable.  For too long whites have ignored the fact that they are white and their whiteness gives them privilege.  Even white who describe themselves as not prejudice can't show an understanding of privilege if they don't or won't see the oppression of blacks.  The authors state "The emphasis of discrimination alone, as if existed in a vacuum, obscures the operation of privilege, thus aiding in its perpetuation.  In order to change the societies perspective and the continuance of these discriminatory ways we need to encourage others to think and talk about the realities of privilege and oppression.




     According to Armstrong and Wildman "Color Insight does not provide a magic wand that dispenses with racism, but it does offer a vocabulary and some significant points of entry for deeper conversations". (p.76)  Color insight is the exact opposite of colorblindness.  Believing colorblindness would promote equality, many whites felt this showed they were not prejudice but it just showed the failure to recognize their own white privilege.  This colorblindness continues the "centuries of racism and white privilege". (p.66)  The authors go on to explain "Society cannot battle a phantom that in cannot recognize and name."  (p. 67)  As Johnson discussed, as hard as it is to use the words and talk about racism or any other of the -isms for that matter, it must be done if we want it to change.  He explained "So instead of talking about racism and sexism that plague people's lives, people talk about "diversity" and "tolerance" and "appreciating difference".  (Johnson p.12)  These  are positive words and trying to put a different spin on the problems at hand.  We need to get people talking about these problems using the uncomfortable language needed to change it.  Color insight needs to replace colorblindness to move things forward.  "Color insight requires practitioners to observe, discuss, and analyze the operation of race and privilege in contemporary society".  In order to participate, one must recognize privilege and oppression and have and understanding of societies ideas regarding privilege.

     The classroom is an important place to discuss racial inequality and privilege versus oppression.  Providing instances to observe racialization in the "real world".  In one assignment the authors suggest having students "notice the racial composition" of their environment for twenty-four hours.  "Through reading and discussing the observations,students learn a bit more about privilege".  I found it most interesting that after doing the previous exercise "students report that they notice more in the weeks following the exercise".  Their eyes were opened to something that previously went unnoticed.  Another powerful activity "inspired by the work of Kendall and Ansley, asks each student to consider themselves in relation to a power line that separates privileged and non-privileged categories".  Students looked at each different category and whether it fell above or below the line.  With each above the live some sort of privilege was attached.  In contrast, for each "below the line" attribute some privilege was removed or oppressed.  Both activities are provide impactful ways of getting students to examine a difficult subject and get the conversation started.  Awareness can be the first step in creating change.


"Black Lives Matter"
     As a white woman, who does not consider herself prejudice, I didn't understand why "All Lives Matter" was not a better alternative to not offend anybody.  In my mind, this was fair to Asians, Hispanics, Indians, Muslims, and any other non-white who may not be treated fairly based an their race or skin color.  Our society does send messages of "all lives matter" but the "black lives matter" really means black lives should matter as much as white lives or any other lives.  Black people continue to be oppressed in many ways and are not treated equally.  So instead of assuming the slogan meant "only black lives matter" people need to understand that without acknowledging "black lives matter" we are continuing to ignore the problem. (Roose)

     In Joey Salad's social experiment in the video clip he goes to a "white neighborhood" he's holding a "Black Lives Matter" sign.  Many of the white people who answer him do say they support it but they don't want blacks segregated into a group because "all lives matter".  The people do not really take offense or get angry with him even if they don't agree with him.  They don't care because they aren't affected.  They know their lives matter, because they live with white privilege every day.  However, when he goes to a "black neighborhood" with his "All Lives Matter" sign he is met with very hostile, negative results.  The black people take offense and take the message to mean white lives matter more.  They see it as negative because it isn't showing the injustice and inequality of "black lives" in this white privilege culture.  One man gets extremely upset to the point of using violence toward Joey.  The black people are more enraged because the "All Lives Matter" sign seems to negate their cause.  I wonder if the results would be any different if Joey was a black man standing in each neighborhood with the same signs? 

8 comments:

  1. Shena, I really enjoyed reading your post, especially the part where you stated that "in order to change the societies perspective and the continuance of these discriminatory ways we need to encourage others to think and talk about the realities of privilege and oppression." I think that both articles tie into this idea that you addressed, especially the "All Lives Matter" article. It is not just enough to see the different races in our society; instead, we need to think of how we can make it so that non-White lives are held to the same status and regard as White lives.

    I also often wonder something similar to you regarding people's reactions to certain messages and signs. I spend a lot of time thinking how other non-White and non-black individuals address and feel about the situation going on. As Armstrong & Wildman (2013) and Johnson (2001) address, all non-Whites are severely oppressed by the white culture we have in the United States. I would be interested to know how other racial and ethnic groups are interacting with movements such as Black Lives Matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice ending as well, Shena - pulls back into the hypothetical court case in W&A's article (a surgeon being sued for malpractice by a patient for having been given too much anesthesia - what if it were a black surgeon/white patient, what if it were a white surgeon/black patient? What if both patient and doctor were black?). And I'm glad Victoria brings up other marginalized cultures. I can't help but wonder whether some day, we'll be lamenting the plight of the Great While Male (ooh, maybe I just figured out what Moby Dick is *really* really about. Or I just came up with a sweet idea for a parody..) We cannot help but exist from within our experience - why most beginning writers are told "write what you know." It's what rings true, and likely to and for others - and we need to start being honest. Even this here Joey Salads strikes me as a little on the phoney side, coming heavy from a place of privilege too..the implementation made me cringe, although I think value in his point can't be denied.

      Oh and I just listened to the most recent episode of Radiolab that introduces a whole new web of privilege-perspective to the gender debate..would be great to add to the mix you referenced, although a bit complex for elementary kids for sure.. http://www.radiolab.org/story/gondo/

      Delete
  2. Shena,

    I truly enjoyed reading your post, as you and I shared a lot of the same outlooks on the articles. What bothered me the most was that after reading these articles and taking a look at myself I realized that I am color blind. I really liked what you said about not continuing to use the kind words to describe racism and inequality, but how we have to start using the hard and uncomfortable words if we want to truly make a difference. I completely agree with you and I am going to start by challenging myself to use those uncomfortable words. As for the black lives matter, I felt as though again it was white people trying to make everything a little less uncomfortable by going in and chancing the slogan. This is actually not just about a sign or a slogan, but this is an actual movement that was put together to raise awareness, like you said, that black lives matter as much as white lives. Again the white privilege could handle to awkwardness of the movement and tried to change it. So far all of the topics we've covered in class have rally opened my eyes up to just how blind I have been!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on how eye opening this cass has been already! I also was colorblind. I think I struggled with it a LOT at first because I don't consider myself racist in any way. I think I was afraid to use the uncomfortable and even negative words because of my fear of the reaction or being "taken the wrong way". As a white woman, who grew up in a white privilege world, I know and understand racism but I think I also ignore it at times because I can. I hope that I can take away from this class ways of using my knowledge of white privilege to look at things in different ways and help others to do the same. I guess knowing we were colorblind is the first step in moving toward color insight!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shena, your blog really touched upon how I felt about these articles, as well. I liked how you mentioned the comment around "the vaccuum." That comment also struck a cord with me. How true it is. I also agree with the fact that it seems as if others are trying to "put a different spin on things." I agree wholeheartedly with that sentence! It sort of is as if we are avoiding and just trying to tip toe around the situation. These articles have been very eye-opening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shena, I liked the part where you stated about what Johnson explained "So instead of talking about racism and sexism that plague people's lives people talk about "diversity" and "tolerance" and appreciate difference." (Johnson p 12). You are right they are positive words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shena, I am absolutely going to use that comic in my next course! So perfect for this topic! Thank you. The BLM example continues to be a great way to see how these difficult dialogues exist in real life. I hope we can talk more in class about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I read it I thought, this is PERFECT for the issue at hand. It took me a bit to adjust the size so it could be read in the blog, but I've got to say I am enjoying blogging! It is a tool I will probably use in the classroom now that I'm becoming more familiar with using it. Love the options and as a Blended Learning teacher it fits nicely with what I currently do!

      Delete